Sony has officially released some information about the Next-Gen Playstation! Even though all of this info is focused on the hardware, there are some technological leaps being made. Here is what we know about the system so far:
- The name of the next console has yet to be announced. Sony developers are referring to it as the “next-gen console”. For this article, we will refer to it by it’s unofficial fan-given name of “PS5”.
- The PS5 will not be released in 2019. So there is still time to save up some money!
What games will be available?
- Sony recently accelerated the deployment of Devkits for the system. Many game studios are already working on PS5 content.
CPU / GPU
- The PS5’s CPU is based on the 3rd generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and will contain eight cores.
- “Ray tracing” support will be part of the GPU. This is a newer technology commonly seen in movies but has yet to be used for a gaming console. Basically, this technology mimics how lights bounce from object to object.
- 3D Audio support which will improve the quality of sounds in-game.
- To help support game file sizes growing bigger and bigger as years go by, the system will have it’s own hard drive. An example given during Sony’s interview with wired.com was with the new Spider Man (2018) title. Loading screens that once took 15 seconds, now take 0.8 seconds on PS5!
- Just bought a 4k TV? Well now it’s time to purchase an 8k as the PS5 will support these graphics!
- Last but not least, the system will have backwards compatibility so all your PS4 games will still work on the PS5.
With all of these new technologies being utilized in the PS5, there is no doubt that the next system is going to be visually amazing. Stay tuned to myPotatoGames for more info on the PS5 and current Playstation 4 games. Happy Gaming!