Summer in Mara, developed and published by an indie studio, Chibig, will be releasing on Windows, Mac, Steam, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, sometime in 2019. You’ll be able to customize your own island by planting trees, growing crops, and raising livestock such as pigs and chickens (how exciting is it to finally get to raise little piglets?!). You’ll also set sail to new islands full of people to meet and treasure to find!
On the planet Qü, Mara is the name of the ocean that brings life to the islands. Play as Koa, a little adventurer, who has to take care of her home island. She has never seen the outside world beyond her island, but the ocean has always called to her. Now Mara is in danger as the Elite, an evil organization from another planet, want to exploit her resources. The creators mention that the game is inspired by “the exploration in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, the farming in Stardew Valley, the visual aspect of Studio Ghibli’s movies, and the adventure feeling of your childhood summers”.
Help Koa maintain her farm by acquiring new skills and by upgrading your tools in order to cut trees with your hatchet, build things with your hammer and use your hoe to help you harvest. Meet the interesting people known as Qüido, the fishermen, merchants, cooks, and explorers on the island. They all have stories to tell and you can form relationships with them! Discover what Koa’s adoptive grandmother, a Qüido named Haku, knows about the mysterious door on the island. Find out why the three crystals in the door have suddenly gone missing.
- You’ll have your own tropical island.
- Plant, grow and harvest your own food and manage your island and resources.
- Unravel the mystery of Mara and protect the sea from a evil corporation.
- Sail all over your archipelago and find new islands and treasures.
- Over 20 characters to meet and trade with. Befriend them!
- Unlock and acquire new skills and abilities for Koa, helping her to craft, trade and explore in an easy-RPG system.
- Improve your boat, make it bigger and faster.
- Day and night cycle with climate events.
For more information about Summer in Mara, go to Chibig’s website here. Love the “summer islands” feel of the game, reminiscent of Moana? Check out our other articles about Leilani’s Island here and Solo Islands of the Heart here.