The long rumored Nintendo Switch 5.0.0 Firmware is out now. The latest firmware update was rumored to bring new features, such as a revamped eShop store, Nintendo Switch Themes like on the 3DS and more. However, the update does not pack any of those features, but stills brings some nice new enhancements. Version 5.0.0 features new Kirby and ARMS avatars. Players will now also be able to link their Facebook or Twitter account and add new friends on the Switch this way. This is a feature also available on Animal Crossing Pocket Camp. It also fixes a bug that caused player activity to reset to 0 for some games.
For more Nintendo Switch news, check out the recently announced Hazelnut Bastille, that is coming to PC and Switch. In case you missed it, for everything new on the Switch as well as the 3DS check out our full Nintendo Direct recap here.
Nintendo Switch 5.0.0 Firmware Update
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including: