There’s only one thing that can make playing Animal Crossing better, and that’s playing it with friends! Therefore fans of the franchise will be pleased to know that New Horizons features both local and online multiplayer. In a recent notice from the official Nintendo website in Australia, it was announced that:
Official Nintendo Announcement
- Up to eight players can reside on an island at once.
- Four residents of the same island can play together simultaneously on a single system (presumably with each player requiring a joycon).
- Eight players can play together on one player’s island via online multiplayer or local wireless.
*Up to 8 players with registered accounts on a Nintendo Switch console can live on one shared island, and up to four residents of one island can play simultaneously on one console.
Please note: only one island can exist per Nintendo Switch console, irrespective of the number of user accounts registered to or copies of the game used on one console.
One Nintendo Switch and one copy of the game is required for each unique island. Alternatively, up to eight people can play together on one island via local wireless or online play. Local wireless play requires one console and one copy of the software per player.
This is how Animal Crossing New Horizons Multiplayer works!
So to clarify, that’s three different ways to play with friends:
- Up to 4 residents of the same island can play together simultaneosuly on one console.
- Up to 8 people can play together (each with your own console and copy of ACNH) using local multiplayer.
- Up to 8 people can play together (each with your own console, copy of ACNH, an internet connection, and a Switch Online membership) using Online Play.
Whilst not yet officially confirmed, gameplay from Nintendo Treehouse E3 2019 and trailers suggest that local multiplayer (using one console) will work in the following way:
New Horizons Local Multiplayer Using One Console
- Through the Call Islander app on the Nook Phone, it is possible to invite other characters that have already have a home for themselves in the town.
- Up to 3 players can be invited this way for a maximum of 4 local players on the same system
- One character is set as the main player, indicated by the flag over their head. Initially it is the player who used to app to invite someone, but can be switched at any time (easy switching between characters)
- All characters in local coop must stay within the same field of view. If the main player moves such that another player is moved off screen, that player will *poof* back next to the main player.
Switch may require Dock mode for New Horizons Local Multiplayer
It is not yet confirmed or denied by Nintendo, however it is to assume that the Switch will need to be docked, with each player owning a joycon, in order to play with others using one system.
In regards to online multiplayer, developers have stated that the Nintendo Switch Online App will likely be compatable with the game. This could mean that voice chat will be available when playing online, making gameplay easier and more fun .
It seems that Nintendo have put a lot of effort into co-op play in Animal Crossing New Horizons, something that has made New Leaf so enjoyable for many years after its release. Trading with players from all over the world and exploring other towns has breathed new life into New Leaf even 7 years after its initial release.
New Animal Crossing New Horizons Switch and Joy-Cons
Make sure to pre-order your copy of Animal Crossing New Horizons and to invest in a sufficient number of joycons, as Animal Crossing New Horizons will be coming to Nintendo Switch on March 20, 2020.
More Animal Crossing New Horizons News
Check out all the adorable merchandise announced so far for New Horizons, including this adorable AC themed Gardening kit and this super cute Choco Egg that comes with some of your favorite characters!